Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Let them eat cake!

So, I made this Dora cake a few years ago. I spent a lot of time finding the right frosting colors, making sure the cake didn't fall apart when it was baked, and struggling with an ancient (but much appreciated) frosting kit that I was certainly ill-equiped to use to have it look somewhat like that lovable Nick Jr. character. When the cake was presented, I got a "Oh, it's Dora," and the cake was so disgusting from the high-dye content in the dark colors that we couldn't even eat it. Pretty much went right in the trash.

Fast forward several years. Throw some cake, pudding and ground-up Oreos in the back of a dump truck and you get this response:

It was so good, that even after it got dumped, we scooped it up off the table and ate it the next day. Live and learn.Ethan's cake was not much prettier. He wanted "awesome, cool guys" on it. After much debate about what that meant, we found a couple of knights and stuck them on top of an ice cream cake. Again, not much to look at, but delicious.
Due to conflicts on Dylan's birthday, and to save family driving time in February (there are 5 birthdays in 3 weeks), we celebrated the boys' together on the 24th. I must say it was a parent's dream to have Ethan want his younger brother to get his cake first and to watch them open presents side by side on the same chair. If only they had on white linen suits and were spread out on a picnic blanket. . .

5 comments:

Andrea said...

That video clip is priceless! How fun is that!! Great job MOM!!

Rachel said...

Ok you are amazing. Really you are!

Collette said...

Really, because I can throw cake in a pile? You're kidding, right? And, of course, you know I got that idea from Family Fun.

Markay said...

Collette, I just made this dump truck cake with Jeffrey for a Cub Scout Blue and Gold meeting. I couldn't believe how good it taste as well. No more just plain chocolate cake for us anymore!

Crystal said...

That video was awesome!!! I've never heard Dylan talk so much!