Last weekend we went to Citrus Valley Playhouse, a live radio show, who did a tribute to the Wallace and Ladmo Show, a local kids t.v. show that starred Pat McMahon and of course, Wallace (above) and Ladmo. The tribute was hysterically funny, so well done, and it was great to see Wallace (Ladmo died a few years ago) and Pat McMahon, who is still so hilarious. They even gave out 50 Ladmo bags, which, for those of you who know the show, is something EVERY kid in Arizona wished they had (just ask Lisa Bailey -- who did get one that night, BTW).
The show brought back some great memories of watching Wallace and Ladmo as a kid. Susan grew up in Scottsdale, and actually went to a show once with her Bluebird troop. I had always wanted to go, but never made it there. (I was just so deprived as a kid.)
Dan Harkins was there to present the awards to Wallace and Pat, and he told a very touching story about growing up in the same neighborhood with Wallace's family and how Wallace is a second father to him. He also credited the Wallace and Ladmo Show for saving Harkins Theaters. When Harkins Theaters was having rough times, one of the things that kept them alive was being able to go on the show and so easily promote the theaters, giving away passes in the Ladmo bags, etc.
Now I have even more reason to love the Wallace and Ladmo Show, because movies would not be the same without Harkins Theaters. And I'm being totally serious -- just ask my traitor parents, who are so easily lured with the "get a popcorn free" club at AMC. But, I digress. . .
There were a lot of local celebrities there, but I have to say one of the highlights of the night for me was reminiscing with Dan Harkins about the original Cine Capri, and my memories of waiting in the line that wrapped around the theater to see Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc., because you always had to drive into town to see the big movies on that beautiful screen.
The best moment, though, was at the end of the night, when everyone was sort of hanging around talking, and a judge that my dad works with, brought Wallace to him, saying, "Wallace! You have to get your picture with this guy. This is the Associate Presiding Judge, Norman Davis!" And yes, the exclamation points are necessary -- he was pretty excited. It was great.
3 years ago

2 comments:
What a great night! I know you were looking forward it for a long time. I wondered what a Ladmo bag was. : )
Sounds so fun. Mike was on that show when he was a kid. I missed it since I didn't grow up here.
Post a Comment