Thursday, April 10, 2008

Jack Elliot

Whenever I would play "house" with my girls, they always made me be the Mom. I always wondered how that was any different than what we did all day anyway. When Ethan asked me to play "house" with him this morning, I got to cuddle up in Dylan's bed and go to "sleep" (I was up way too late last night) while Ethan made me breakfast and dinner. He came and took my order, "cooked", and just attended to me.
I think this is why the story of Sarah Prine in These is My Words resonated so well with us at Book Club last week. As women, we want to be able to kill our Indians, rescue our children from rattlesnakes and get our education, but at the end of the day, we want our Jack Elliot to be there to just take care of us and all our stubbornness.

8 comments:

Rhonda said...

I'm still working on the book but that is a GORGEOUS picture of you and Ethan.

Andrea said...

That wraps up my feelings about it perfectly! You nailed it. A perfect post. : ) Can I quote you on mine??

Courtney said...

Can I just tell you a CRIED LIKE A BABY at the end of that book. I don't know if I am just hormonal and pregnant, but I had a hard time with it!

Hermana Law said...

Love the picture, he look like he will make a great Captain Jack.

Collette said...

Court, which part? I cried through the whole stinkin' book.

Arizona Arnolds said...

That was the perfect summary. I love to be independant, but want to be cherished too. I just checked out the 2nd book. I miss Jack Elliot.

Rachel said...

Ok I have to read it AND I LOVE this pic of you two. BEAUTIFUL!

Crystal said...

This picture is fabulous!!!! Why is it not in your house?!?!