Tuesday, January 20, 2009

WALL-E: The Ultimate Motivator

I spent the majority of last week with at least one sick child on my couch, which I thoroughly enjoyed. We read, watched movies, got snacks. It was a great slow week - until the weekend hit. Marshall had to work Saturday, so it was just me with the semi-sick kids and nothing on the agenda. And I, of course, was very unmotivated. I was seriously lacking momentum. So on the couch we sat.

Sunday rolled around. We have 8 a.m. church, my absolute favorite time, so by 11:15 we were rushing home to enjoy our day of rest together. Until it hits me - ANOTHER day of rest is coming tomorrow, with another day off school. This instantly deflates me. These 3-day weekends (no offense to MLK) are tough when your husband is self-employed. Needless to say I was G-R-O-U-C-H-Y all afternoon until we took our bike ride, which cheered me up a great deal.

Monday came. More hanging out, reading books, playing the Wii. With the kids getting over being sick, they just haven't been in the mood to do much. We decided in a final act of absolute laziness to watch WALL-E for Family Night.

That did it. I couldn't have asked for a better jump-start for my upcoming week. It's a darling movie. However, given the timing, I became quite nauseated with myself and couldn't wait to get off my own personal hoverchair. So I got in bed early, went to the gym this morning and have had a very productive day, that is, until writing this entry. And, and always, kudos to Pixar, one of the few animation studios who still value a good story.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

The hoverchair - what a concept. Good for you going to the gym!

Ang said...

I was so excited to see your comment on my blog! I must admit, after reading your blog I was putting off sending you my address until my blog was more "worthy", but that may never happen, so I'm glad you have it now. I love the recap of your weekend, and I'm totally with you on the 3 day weekend/husband self-employed situation. Fun to see your christmas-you're kids are beautiful!

Ang said...

I wish there were a way to edit comments- I'm completely aware that I used "you're" where "your" was correct, but I clicked that darn button too quickly!

Kate said...

Wal-E is so cute. I love the "Music Man" song in it. And I am in total agreement about Pixar and good stories. They are so talented. We'd love to have Ethan over to play this week if your sickies are all better. We have been extremely lucky this winter thus far. (Knocking on wood) I'll give you a call.