As we were setting up for our Block Party tonight, Marshall was busy with the DVD player and projector setup, the ladies in charge were getting ice for the snow cone machine, and Ellie was home changing. I was setting up tables and feeling short on time, trying to hurry and wanting one more set of hands. I wasn't sure where Tabitha was and Sydney was at a friend's house. I needed my Ellie back at the park. She's so good in a pinch. I fumbled through the setup, trying to keep an eye on the boys the whole time, until Ellie came back. She immediately said, "What can I do?" I was feeling a little flustered with what to do next as everything needed to be done right then. At the time I was attempting to cover a table with plastic and struggling a little with the wind. I didn't really answer her, as I didn't really know what to say. She looked at me and said, "You just need me here, don't you?" I guess she's a mindreader now too. She just immediately picked up all the slack, filling in what needed to be done, working with me until all was finished. She truly is like my right hand at times like this.
And just when I was feeling so grateful for her, Tabitha shows up and starts welcoming the arriving kids to the party. Complete with sparkly shoes & purse, she made sure they all knew about the bounce house and invited them to go down to it. She then insisted on manning the popcorn machine, which she did the entire night, except for when she went home to go to the bathroom. This is when I got chewed out for "not telling Dad to fill in for me like I asked you to." She also got sad for a moment when she wasn't getting "customers", but kept at it until business picked up and did a spectacular job.
It's fun to see their strong little spirits take on the world. They're gonna do all right.
3 years ago

2 comments:
Sounds like a fantastic block party. You have awesome children. You are an awesome mom!
What a great post. Such an Ellie thing to do. And Tabitha for that matter. Sweet girls, taught by someone who know how to serve without being asked. You do it to perfection Collette.
Post a Comment