While obsessing over this advent project, I felt the urgent need to run to a quilt store after school a couple of Fridays ago to get some new fabrics. Knowing that my children would not appreciate running an errand immediately after being picked up from the bus, I thought I would lure them with the promise to get smoothies at this place right next to the quilt shop.
I had all the kids except for Sydney, who was at a friend's house. I parked in front, turned on a movie for the kids, and ran in. I wasn't in there 2 minutes when Ellie came in, saying that Sydney was on the phone, asking if she could walk about a mile to Golden Spoon with her friend. Well, we happened to be right down the street from that Golden Spoon. The quilt shop and her friend's house are both quite a ways from our house, so it really was a funny coincidence.
So, of course, I'm thinking how funny it would be to show up at Golden Spoon. There was no reason whatsoever that we should be up in this part of town, and it would be funny to surprise her. I didn't mean to hang out the entire time with them, just show up, embarrass her a little, and leave. The kids agree, and as we head over I give them the spiel about not bugging Sydney and her friends too much. I wanted to embarrass, not harass.
We were there a few minutes before Sydney shows up. And, I should have known, they were perfectly happy, I dare say excited, to see us. Sydney's friend Braelyn, shouts out, "Hey, Sister Evans!" They're laughing, thinking it's so funny that we are there. They don't even mind the kids, even when Dylan takes off his shirt because he got a tiny little drip of ice cream on it. Well, I failed to embarrass her, but I realized how very grateful I am that she has such good friends and they are secure enough with each other, that they would embrace us, instead of hiding their heads and burying their chins in their shirts. And instead of eating our yogurt in the car we got to enjoy a few moments together with our wonderful Sydney.Hooray for good friends!!
1 week ago

3 comments:
That is great. What a cool mom you are to kids! I have to add an Ethanism from preschool yesterday. We sang Happy Birthday to one of the girls and then Ethan says,"My sister Tabitha made up the Cha Cha Cha part. A long time ago it wasn't there until she added it."
I had to (secretly) laugh. All the other kids were impressed, after all I think they like the Cha Cha Cha part the best!
I LOVE the pic of Dylan!
Marla's Ethanisim is the BEST! You have to add that to your sidebar.
Post a Comment