Sunday, December 21, 2008

Boy do you have your lions crossed

So we've gotten some creative gifts this year - Scope ("We Swish you a Merry Christmas!"); Wrigley gum from "The Wrigley's", a very cute popcorn bowl with our name painted on it, etc. But the craziest gift we've received so far was a roll of toilet paper - yes, toilet paper. It had this cute poem on it about it being the most useful paper you'll use this season. Anyway, it was pretty clever.

So, at church today, Marshall was talking to our friend Chris, thanking him for said gift. However, Marshall doesn't like to say things like toilet paper, so he didn't refer specifically to it. He did say, (I'm sure with a smirk) that it was such a creative gift and that we couldn't wait to use it. When he told me this tonight, I informed him that Chris and his family did not give us the toilet paper, that he gave us this:It's a magnetic notepad. Marshall said that would explain why Chris seemed confused. And now I'm hoping Chris didn't take that sarcastically, especially since this is actually one my most favorite gifts. Someone gave us one a few years ago and it was so nice to have on my fridge, since my Post-it notes are always MIA (courtesy of the little scoundrels) when I need to make a grocery list. I'm glad I've finally got a replacement.

Needless to say, we were cracking up at the confusion. Which led us to remember a time when we were painting Sydney's room late at night a few years ago. We were meticulously painting wide vertical stripes on all four walls. At about 10:30 p.m., a lady in our neighborhood apparently drove by and saw us through the window marking the stripes on the wall. She had the funny idea to call and tell us that our stripes didn't line up. She knew she would be okay calling us so late, as she just saw us up. Well, the number she remembered as being ours, wasn't ours at all, but another neighbor's, who of course, was confused when he picked up the phone to hear that he was painting his stripes crooked. Oh, good times.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

funny stuff! leave it to the Nicholls to come up with something like the toilet paper. I want to be funny like that next year. simple and funny. but it's just not my strength. I'm going to start working on my idea for next year's neighbor gift right now!