Friday, August 21, 2009

. . .And Away!

The reason I only took Dylan to the movies? My other kids had already seen it with my parents. And no, not all together. My dear mother (and father sometimes) took each of my other 4 kids to see this movie individually this summer. It's a tradition. She takes each one of the school-age grandkids for a week. They shop, go to lunch, make cookies. This summer she also had all 5 of the girls choose fabric and make a skirt with them. And they always go to the hit summer movie. I think she saw Up SIX TIMES!! We seriously hit the

GRANDPARENT JACKPOT!!
It is the definitely what my kids look forward to each summer. They come back a little more confident, a little more at ease. Having individual time for an entire week does great things for their soul.

This was Ethan's first year of being able to go to Grandma's. I didn't even recognize him when he got back. One noticeable difference - he used to always shirk his duty of saying the prayer when it was his day. He would always just whine a little and then the only thing that would get him to say it was if he got help from someone. When he got back from my parents, he not only easily said it on his day, he even VOLUNTEERED to say the prayer at other times. I know it's a small thing, but definitely noticed and MUCH appreciated. We love Papa and Nani.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

your kids are so, so blessed. That is one of the incredibly hard sacrifices of not living near family. I could use a week with your mom next summer. :)