Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Long Live Harry!

I'm so glad it's been a long time since I've read The Half-Blood Prince, so I could enjoy the movie, which I did to a certain degree. I don't care so much that they added the part about burning The Burrow, because for the most part I enjoyed the way in which the characters were portrayed. I appreciated the resolve the characters had to just do what they needed to do. And the solidarity between the 3 I just LOVED! However, why, oh, why was Harry free to act in the Dumbledore/Draco showdown and why did he do nothing? That was completely out of character for him. I can't quite figure out why they did that.

And I usually judge a movie by the amount of emotion drawn out of me. And while this movie was indeed very funny, it brought no tears. There was a tender moment at the end when Hermione tells Harry that they're going with him, but other than that it was pretty flat. I remember feeling a little like that in the book as well, though. It just kind of ended. Maybe it's because there was no Dumbledore to sum things up for Harry - that's always an emotional part for me.

I also liked that the movie started off quickly - no explaining the last 5 - and there were enough holes that I want to go back and re-read the book, which I will do. But I will stay away from the 7th book so I can in turn enjoy the last 2 movies. David Yates is also directing those movies, but he directed The Order of the Phoenix too, which I thought was very well done, so not all hope is lost.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Good. Finally I have your thoughts on this. Mine were very similar. I have already started reading HBP over. And because I was so glad I didn't read it right before the movie, I won't read 7 until the movies are done either. But no matter what, I <3 Harry!