SHORT VERSION:
I came upon an intersection with heavy construction, completely misjudged the setting, and turned left in front of oncoming traffic that I didn't see at all.
LONG VERSION:
I had planned since the week before to get a Cultural Pass at one of the libraries for the Science Center. I knew there was one each at Hamilton and Basha last Friday. I chose Hamilton, since it's closer to the freeway and got there at 7 a.m. so I could be the first one in line. We had planned to go to the Science Center that day since I was already taking Marshall to the airport and meeting my mom to trade kids. (She takes each of my kids individually for a few day in the summer - another story.) When I got to Hamilton, I was informed that they were closed due to construction. So I drove down to Basha, parked on the wrong side of the school (it's HUGE, BTW!) and ran around the outside of the school in my flip flops and pajamas to reach the library.
When I got to the front, there were already 2 people in line, a young mom with 2 kids and an older gentleman. I figured my chances of getting a pass were pretty slim but decided to wait anyway since they opened in 5 minutes. When the 3 of us got inside and got to the passes, the guy in front of me took the only Science Center pass and then turned around and gave it to me. I told him I didn't want it, that he needed to take it, but he wouldn't listen to me. He said, "I'm only taking a couple of kids. I can afford it," and wouldn't take it. We went back and forth a few times, then he said, "Just say 'Thank You'." What could I say? I got the pass and walked back to my car, saying continual prayers of gratitude for this kind man.
Being a little overwhelmed with emotion (it's been a long summer), I left the parking lot and was driving east on Riggs. As I approached the intersection to turn left going north, I saw a long line of cars on the opposite side waiting to turn left going south. I immediately looked down to see if there was a no left turn sign because there was very heavy construction. Expecting to see one, I instead saw a left turn only sign. This confused me, and for some reason, I felt a sense of urgency and quickly turned. The next thing I know is my car is being t-boned and my mind starts racing about how this will affect EVERYTHING. Neither of us had a second to react. It was that fast. It was the most horrifying thing I have ever experienced. I realized later that the reason the whole collision shocked me was because I didn't think there was another lane of traffic. It didn't even dawn on me that there were 2 lanes of oncoming traffic - mostly because was a long line of cars waiting to turn and I couldn't see around them, except for the construction barricades. I thought that was one line of cars to turn right, left and go straight.
Anyway, once I realized what happened, I ran out of my car to find the other driver. He was sitting on the curb at the intersection. I put my hand on his shoulder and asked how he was doing, if he was hurt. He said that he thought he was okay. I then broke down into sobs. He immediately put his arm around me and I just sobbed into his chest. He continued to rub my back until the EMTs arrived. And, can I just say, there is no finer group of men than the fire department? They were so calming, and thorough. I could go on and on. . .
3 years ago

7 comments:
You were a mile away and didn't call me?!?!? Funny I thought the same thing, that Ellie would ask if you were on the cell phone. We're so glad you're okay. Poor burb.
wow- emotions still a little too close to the surface on this one. I am so, so grateful that you are okay. It is absolutely terrifying. And good for Dylan. Prayers are everything. Know I'm thinking of you.
Tears of gratitude Collette. I'm so grateful you are well.
Wow...glad you are ok...and got the passes!!
Collette you made me cry. I am glad that you are ok. Glad there was no front seat passenger. As for the Honda they make an 8 seater van, which I am sure they told you and you would be surprised at how spacious they are - not like the suburban, but not like other vans either.
Wow...I didn't know this happened to you. So glad you are ok and that nobody was with you. But how awesome to run into such sweet and kind people on that kind of day. Dang...I should really have just given you my science museum pass. It would have saved you so much trouble. :(
ok I totally missed this post. I'm obviously glad you are Ok, and not just because you brought me movies today!! How about the sweet men that day. That's awesome!!
Post a Comment