After spending the morning at the park, I was craving Rubio's. I always get the same thing - a carnitas street taco, a bean and cheese burrito, and a Vanilla Coke. Ohh, how I love the Vanilla Coke. It's the biggest reason I go there. I don't know anyone else who has it, and Vanilla and Cherry Coke fountain drinks are just about my most favorite thing in the world.
So I order my food on my way home (I have their number on speed dial of course) and drive to pick it up. I figure I could also get a little extra listening time for Sarah's Quilt, which I'm loving BTW. After about 2 minutes after getting home and setting lunch on the table, someone comes to my door. As I'm talking to my neighbor, Ethan comes to the door with the remote control in his hand. I'm thinking he wants to know how to unpause the T.V., so I show him, but he doesn't go away, saying, "Mom! Mom!". I hear this about 50 times a day so I don't respond, but I quickly finish up with my friend and walk back to the kitchen. I now realize the reason for my son's panic. Sitting at the kitchen table, was Dylan, with
my precious Vanilla Coke all over the table and floor!!!!!!
Now I have been patient in the past with chocolate chips, orange juice, goldfish, you name it, being spilt on my floor, but you don't mess with my Vanilla Coke! I probably should have stopped to take a picture, as it might have kept me from lighting into my little guy, but I didn't.
I clean up the mess and tell myself I will make do with the last Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper in my pantry because I CANNOT eat Rubio's without a little Coke. I get it out, and notice that the can is pretty mangled. It's flat, and so no good. So I'm left with no other choice than to toss my boys in the car and head back to Rubio's to refill my soda, which I do immediately. And what was Ethan's response to the whole thing? He tells me, "That's why you shouldn't talk, Mom," and gives DYLAN his precious hippo to make him feel better. Oh, well, at least Dylan has one friend today.

4 comments:
That's beautiful. We are also fans of Rubio's for the same reason - a diet coke with a splash of the real vanilla coke is heaven, I tell ya...
I can't believe you drove back. You are so so funny. AND I so love Ethan stories.
I can't believe you drove back. You are so so funny. AND I so love Ethan stories.
You driving back is the kicker! It makes it completely a 'Collette story'. But you didn't mention in your write up that you just walked in, without saying a word, refilled your empty cup and walked back out. LOVE IT!!
Post a Comment