Sunday, September 14, 2008

Early Manhood

My son Ethan has all the makings to be a chauvanistic pig. He's generally very sweet, but when he wants something, he DEMANDS it in a very Archie Bunkerish tone. Nine times out of 10 I have to ask him to rephrase his request, which he always does, politely. This morning was no different. When we came downstairs with Dylan to get a bowl of cereal, Ethan asks if we have Honey Nut Cheerios. I say, "No." He then says,

"Well, then go and get some RIGHT NOW!"
"I don't think so. . ." I say in my Jerry Seinfeld voice, which makes him even angrier. He continues to demand that I go right now to buy him cereal, which I continue to decline. Meanwhile, Dylan and I sit down to eat our cereal. Ethan, in an effort to assert his manhood, walks around the table to Dylan and tries to grab his arm, which I immediately stop. He of course insists that I hurt him and flops on the ground. I then explain to him that if he keeps this up, he will be sent to his room. Getting a grip, he becomes determined to WIN. He creeps up off the floor, goes to the counter, and says, "Well, I'm just going to get a bowl of cereal MYSELF!" As Ethan is taking the box from the counter, Dylan, in a very deep voice, grunts a growl, and says, "STRONG!"Apparently they were both understanding this unspoken language of manhood, something I clearly missed in my many years of schooling.

5 comments:

Scrap Happy said...

Is he flipping the bird?

Man, that kid is cute...

Andrea said...

That first picture is a mini man for sure! He looks a bit intimidating. But we know (no matter how hard they try to hide this fact)his heart is mush just like the other men in our lives that we know and love.

Ronda said...

Yes-brothers have that unspoken language of manhood-much to a mother's dismay. Next time I see you, I will need to hear the Seinfeld voice.

Rachel said...

Stephen is laughing out loud at your Ethanisms.

Crystal said...

But what's with the pinkies?