Thursday, October 16, 2008

Conference Gems

Saturday morning before General Conference, I drove Sydney to her strings competition (they got Superior by the way - all 1's!). Out of the blue, she said, "I'm excited for Conference this time." We both decided that it was because we were watching it at home this weekend. We've gone to our family's cabin for the last few sessions. It's always fun, and we totally enjoy being with everyone, but we were looking forward to a slightly more peaceful conference. I say "slightly", because I'm sure our 7 cause the majority of the noise, but there's just a little more room to spread the kids out at home. We started some traditions a few years ago that have made conference so fun for the kids. It was great to get back to those and spend the whole weekend together with just us. And as icing on the cake, we couldn't have ordered up better weather.

Sydney and Ellie's Potholders
Tabitha's Clay Creations

Sometimes peaceful means "Wrestlemania" with boys.


Or exercising their imagination in different ways


I personally was so grateful for the overall message of peace and hope. Grateful that my foundation is not built upon the ever-changing media. Grateful for the time we live in and for all the amazing things we will see in the future. Grateful that amidst the sea of confusion and despair, it's comforting to know we can anchor our lives to truth and knowledge so secure it will keep us afloat through these troubling times.

I'm sure we won't spend every conference at home, but we definitely soaked up every juicy inch of our little family and conference gems. I even got a wonderful surprise when Marshall came home from the Priesthood Session Saturday night, took me in his arms, literally ("Wow", I know), and insisted we run off to a movie together. Perfect ending to a perfect day.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Loved this! I got an immediate embrace and kiss from Brent as well. Must of been one heck of a Priesthood session!

Kris said...

I love this post about Conference! I came here via a bunch of blogs (started out at Jo-Anne Carter's blog) and it is just so cool to read about people's feelings about conference. Thank you for talking about it!