Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I AM THE MOTHER OF A TEENAGER!!

Just to be clear, this exclamation is made out of enthusiasm, not angst. I have looked forward to this day since I began having children. Not that I have been wishing away their childhoods. I have enjoyed every age. Except 4 to 6. Don't love 4 to 6. But I do love teenagers. They are finding their personalities, figuring out who they are, their likes and dislikes. They further develop their sense of humor, become more responsible, begin making "real-life" decisions.

And while my teenager is just beginning her journey, she is starting out beautifully. And, yes, this is where my Pollyanna view of this age bracket comes from. It certainly doesn't come from my stint as a teenager. I wasn't a bad apple, but more like the sour grape. I know I don't deserve this daughter I have right now. She is a dream. It's fun to watch her grow up. Fun to see her struggle a little in junior high, because I know she's going to emerge on the other side as a confident, capable young lady.

Sydney has always had an ability to understand the rules and the desire to follow them. She wasn't even slightly tempted when her own father attempted to bribe her to be irreverant in her talk she gave last week in sacrament meeting. I'm sure he only did that because he knew she'd never take him up on it. I remember when she was just a toddler and I would communicate a "rule" to her - don't touch the stove, don't stick anything in the socket. All I had to do was explain the why to her, and she got it. She's also not concerned about "going with the crowd". Such a great recipe for a great teenager. It's too bad she's not fun, she'd have it all. . .

. . .oh, but she is fun. She's got a quick sense of humor. She's very positive, easy-going. She tries to be bratty sometimes, but then I laugh at her, because I can't take her seriously when she does that, and then she breaks down immediately. She just doesn't have it in her. Oh, I love this kid!! As much as I don't want to see her go in 4 1/2 years, I already know I will enjoy the ride getting there.

Happy Birthday, Sydney!

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

She CANNOT be a teenage. No no no...no, she is my kindergartener. How can this be? Well I'm not surprised at what an amazing teenager she is. You could see way back in kindergarten that the girl had it together.

Andrea said...

She is a keeper for sure. My 18 Beehives would have it made if they all "got it" the way that Sydney does. Last night she jumped in on all the fun stuff but was totally with me when I was trying to teach them from the scriptures. I love that girl!

Rachel said...

She is so pretty and sweet as can be AND talented. What a dream.