Saturday, July 11, 2009

Denial

The people who live here do not own a red flag.

To my recollection, they have never had a flag - maybe a blue one - but definitely not a red one with "Marine Corp" written on it.

But I do know that they have 3 darling little girls and a precious baby boy, all of whom we haven't seen in a while, which is odd since they are always found walking up and down the street, playing in the front yard, or knocking on your door just to say "hi". They are like the glue of our neighborhood. They play with everyone and keep the streets hoppin'. They celebrate birthdays and new babies, volunteer to watch little ones at the drop of a hat and even help you plan your vacations.

The girls are quite characters, and so much fun to have around. The baby boy is very sweet and completely attached to the good women in his life. The dad is very funny, bright and a good listener - what else would you expect from a HR guy? The mom is always good for intelligent conversation, especially when it involves politics or current events. She's a great cook. She is refreshingly honest and will call you out when you say something stupid (which I happen to love); but she loves you for your mistakes and weaknesses. She is caring, thoughtful, and compassionate to everyone - her reach extended far and wide, not just within the confines of our little neighborhood. She has a good sense of humor, can laugh at herself, and tries every day to be a good mom, wife, neighbor and friend.

Which is why they can't ever move. I'm not sure how the neighborhood would function without them. And if new people were to ever move in, I don't even think I would want to meet them, because meeting them would mean that the real owners truly aren't coming back. This would bring tears to my eyes at the first introduction of the intruders.

I don't think I wouldn't even be able to visit their blog or read an e-mail asking for a cake recipe without breaking down just a little and realizing just how much we take them for granted. It's a good thing they aren't going anywhere, as they will always hold a place in my heart.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

like I said, beautifully written.
and yeah - I won't introduce you. it just isn't the same. at least you don't have to look out your door a thousand times a day or go over, let yourself in and then everyday for a week care for a dog. it's too much really.

Collette said...

No, I did meet her. I actually did start crying. I couldn't even talk to her - hence the post. I did the same thing with the blog and e-mail. I finally realized that getting to know them would mean that our friends are never coming back. I'm not ready to face that. This poor new girl never stood a chance. Maybe with time. . .

Kristin said...

you guys are killing me. i would come back in a heart beat if i could. it is ok here, but i know it will never be the same. i am resigned to a life without close friends, just coexisting in the same neighborhood. that is all i am expecting. :(

Kristin said...

p.s. thanks for painting our family with rose colored glasses on. if only we were like the people that live(d) in your neighborhood.

charisse mask said...

we sure miss you kristin. i do NOT like driving by your old house. it just isn't the same. and btw, i thought that collette described your family perfectly! i can't wait to see you next week! we need to start planning our girls trip to Utah so we can all have something to look forward to. ;)